Sunday, December 09, 2007

The Seforno On The Israeli Supreme Court

In my last post, I wrote about the Israeli Supreme Court. During Shabbos, I was reading the introduction in the Mosad HaRav Kook edition of the Seforno, and came across this (p. 27; click to enlarge images):
Apparently HaRav Zvi Pesach Frank tz"l referred to a particular peirush of the Seforno as a mekor to justify the establishment of a Supreme Court that would listen to the claims of a plaintiff not satisfied with the claims of a 'lower' Beit Din--based on the system of Batei Din established by Moshe Rabbeinu of a 4-tier system.

Here's the source:
Here is the complete comment by the Seforno on Shemos 18:21 in Parshas Yisro:
This is not to justify, or deny, the power of the Israeli Supreme Court today--I just thought it was an interesting footnote to my previous post.


Crossposted on Soccer Dad

Technorati Tag: .

No comments: