- Rouhani boasted that while talks were taking place in Teheran, Iran was able to complete the installation of equipment for conversion of yellowcake
- In 1999, Rowhani declared that protesters who damaged public property would be tried as enemies of the state -- a crime carrying the death penalty [the 1999 describes Rohani as a hardliner].
- According to an indictment by the Argentine government prosecutor, Rohani was on the Iranian government committee that plotted the 1994 bombing of a Jewish community center in Buenos Aires.
Obama's good friend, who was hailed as a moderate, has a decidedly immoderate history:
- Michael Rubin writes that in 1994, Erdogan disparaged secularism while he was Istanbul’s mayor:
“Thank God Almighty, I am a servant of sharia,” he declared in 1994, and the following year he described himself as “the imam of Istanbul.”
- In June 1997, Erdogan made some Antisemitic remarks at a meeting celebrating Istanbul's conquest by the Ottoman Turks:
"The Jews have begun to crush the Muslims of Palestine, in the name of Zionism...Today, the image of the Jews is no different from that of the Nazis."
- In 1998, The New York Times reported that Erdogan was charged with being a threat to Turkey:
On Friday, prosecutors in the southeastern city of Diyarbakir filed charges against Mayor Reccep Tayip Erdogan of Istanbul, in connection with a speech he made in the nearby town of Siirt last year. In that speech, Erdogan, who is a leader of the Islamic-oriented Welfare Party, said,Erdogan was sentenced to 10 months in jail -- but was freed after four months. Though his criminal record that should have prevented him from holding political office, the Parliament amended the constitution in 2003 and Erdogan was allowed to stand for a parliamentary seat. The rest is history.
"The mosques are our barracks, the domes are our helmets, the minarets are our swords, and the faithful are our army."The indictment charged that by making that statement, Erdogan was calling his supporters to form "an army of jihad," or holy war. It also charged him with "using democracy to establish an evil order." If convicted, he could face up to three years in prison.
- In 2009, Erdogan accused Israel of murder and control of the media:
The media does not fully report Israel's "murder of innocent children" because the "world's media is under the control of Israel, and this needs to be emphasised."
|Obama and Erdoğan from Sept. 23, 2009. |
Obama's good friend -- the Islamist
(Official White House Photo by Lawrence Jackson)
And based on Obama's apparent readiness to arm Islamist extremists in Syria, this is a pattern that is only going to continue.
If you found this post interesting or informative, please it below. Thanks!