Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Driving to Cincy With Disney

This past Motzei Shabbos, we loading up the van and off we went to Cincinnati to visit family. We generally average about 12 hours drive time, so this time around we borrowed a portable DVD player from a friend to keep our 6 year old daughter "occupied". We brought along a selection of good wholesome DVD's for her to watch--mostly Disney.

On the road, my daughter watched Disney's Fantasia, the original 1940 version--twice.

Among my daughter's comments on the while watching the movie:

1. "Abba, look: a heffalump!"
Apparently, my daughter has never seen a dancing hippopotamus before.

2. "I know how an elbow sounds!"
Before turning around, I had an image of my daughter with one hand under her underarm, the other arm furiously pumping up and down and playing the tune to The Mickey Mouse Club.
In actuality, she simple mistook elbow for oboe.

3. We had the following conversation:
"Abba, I can't drop this CD on the floor, can I?"
"Why not?"
"It has HaShem in it."
"Oh, really?"
"Sure, it tells all about how Hashem created the world!"

She had just listened to the segment of Fantasia that illustrates Igor Stravinksy's "Rite of Spring". If you forgot what that segment looks like, Chernabog looks like this:

Clearly, I am going to have to have a long talk with my daughter before vacation is over.

Otherwise, I can just imagine getting a phone call from school:
Hello, this is the principal. I was just talking to your daughter's teacher and we were just wondering why it is that our daughter thinks HaShem has 2 horns...
I think the sooner we have that conversation, the better.

No comments: