Monday, May 19, 2008

Then What Do They Want To Talk About?

Center for Opinion Polls and Survey Studies at An-Najah National University conducted a poll during the period from 15-17 May 2008. Among the results:
In view of the last Israeli operations against the Gaza Strip, do you
support or reject resuming political negotiations between the Palestinian
authority and Israel?
17.4% I strongly support
39.1% I support
24.2% I reject
15.9% I strongly reject
3.4% No opinion/I do not know

Do you support or reject the creation of two states on the historic land of
Palestine (a Palestinian state and Israel)?
39.5% I support
57.6% I reject
2.9% No opinion/I do not know
Now, if 56.5% of those poll are in favor of negotiations with Israel but 57.6% reject the idea of a 2-state solution--just what is it that the 56.5% expect Israel and the PA to be negotiating about?

Note: I misinterpreted the results--I assumed that if 57.6% reject a 2-state solution, that means they are interested solely in the destruction of Israel. In that case, how can more than half be in favor of talks. Actually, rejecting a 2-state solution probably means they want a bi-national state. They would be equivalent to the destruction of Israel, but that is not th issue.

Technorati Tag: and .

No comments: