This topic is especially important now since the subject may well develop into a major point of disagreement between Israel and the US as negotiations with the Palestinian Arabs continues.
Entitled International Peacekeepers Cannot Replace the IDF in the Defense of Israel, Dore Gold emphasizes 5 key points:
- The Jordan Valley is a vital defense line in the event of conventional warfare, as well as for dealing with terrorist infiltration and insurgency campaigns against Israel.
- Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin declared on October 5, 1995, that "the security border of the State of Israel will be located in the Jordan Valley, in the broadest meaning of that term."
- If Israel agrees to the deployment of international peacekeepers in the Jordan Valley, Israel would be placing its security in the hands of a force that might be easily removed, leaving Israel completely exposed in the future.
- No foreign forces can realistically be expected to risk their lives for the defense of Israel. Israel must defend itself by itself.
- Unlike West Germany during the Cold War, or South Korea today, Israel never asked U.S. forces to risk their lives for its defense.
Here is the full text of the Dore Gold paper, followed by a video from 2011 of Dore Gold on the Glenn Beck Show discussing the issue.
Here is the video:
If you found this post interesting or informative, please it below. Thanks!