Sunday, August 03, 2008

Gee, Now That You Mention It...(Updated)

Just One Minute points to this nugget from The Washington Post--in late 2005 in response to the question about his 'place in history' Obama responded:
I don't think I have a place in history yet.I got elected to the U.S. Senate. I haven't done anything yet.
Fair enough. So can we ask the question of what he has accomplished since then?
Just asking.

Keep in mind that while in late 2005, Obama admitted he had not done anything yet.
Yet on February 10, 2007 Obama announced his candidacy for president.

So what did Obama accomplish in the 1 1/2 years as US Senator that made him think he had what it takes to be president?

Update: Instapundit suggests:
I don't think Obama was lying in 2005. I've always thought that he didn't expect his campaign to take off the way it did; I think he figured he'd run a good attention-getting primary campaign, drop out after South Carolina, and set himself up for the future. I think that the coalescence of the anti-Hillary Democrats around his campaign surprised him as much as it did Hillary, and that he's been running a brilliant piece of improvisation ever since.
Now there's a scary thought.

Crossposted at Soccer Dad

Technorati Tag: .

No comments: