Jewish Right To Israel

Jewish Right To Israel
Jewish Right To Palestine (click on image)

Friday, November 19, 2010

Soccer Dad Retires

He did it quietly and without fanfare, as is his way--Soccer Dad has retired from blogging.

I have known Soccer Dad for over 25 years, long before blogging came on the scene.

I have always been impressed with his insights and great command of the facts--I still believe he has a complete collection of Commentary Magazine in an air-conditioned vault in the basement, though he has denied it.


Back in October 2007, in a project to determine "Which blogs should one read to be most up to date, i.e., to quickly know about important stories that propagate over the blogosphere?"--Soccer Dad was rated #22.

When we learned in Israel, he was equally as knowledgeable--though as I recall, when learning Chumash he preferred the Malbim over Commentary Magazine.

And both then and now he always has a good word--and more--to say about other people

More than being knowledgeable, Soccer Dad is a mentsch. When it comes to blogging, he has always been full of encouragement, and ideas--ideas that he is always willing and eager to share. Along those lines, he started Haveil Havalim, a carnival that gave exposure to all kinds of blogs in the JBlogosphere.

I remember many years ago when I was learning a sugya with him in preparation for a class I was going to teach the next day. I was a student teacher at the time and eager to make a good impression. I showed him how I was going to present a particular point--using apples with different colors and shapes. Soccer Dad not only was effusive in praising my idea: he insisted I walk over with him to one of the Rebbeim in the Beis Medrash and show it to him as well.

Similarly, I received countless emails from him informing me of a blog that had linked to one of my posts or an idea for something to blog about.

Always full of encouragement.
It is a loss for the blogosphere.

I'm sure he'll put his new-found free time to good use.
I imagine he'll catch up on those issues of Commentary Magazine in his basement.
Post a Comment