Get a load of this from Letty Cottin Pogrebin, who has no idea of the variety of critiques that were written, pointing out the errors in the Goldstone Report:
Two years after Operation Cast Lead, Israel’s three-week assault against Hamas in Gaza, we are still grappling with the fallout. Much of the public reckoning has been channeled into an acrimonious debate over the report of a four-person investigative commission appointed by the United Nations Human Rights Council and headed by Judge Richard Goldstone. Regrettably, the conduct of many of Israel’s sup-porters in this dispute has been both indecent and profoundly un-Jewish."Rather than discuss the contents of the report...Israel’s defenders launched an all-points campaign to bury it"?
From the moment the Goldstone Report was released in September 2009, its lead author has been subjected to fierce, well-orchestrated attacks by Israeli and American Jews who purport to be defending the legitimacy of the Jewish state and the safety of the Jewish people. Rather than discuss the contents of the report — which concluded that during the 2008-2009 Gaza war, Israel (as well as Hamas) may have committed war crimes — Israel’s defenders launched an all-points campaign to bury it.[emphasis added]
You have got to be kidding!
Among the the reports that have come out with an analysis of the various errors and biases in the Goldstone Report are:
- CAMERA's A Formal Letter to Judge Goldstone
- CAMERA's The Goldstone Report: A Study in Duplicity
- Israel's Initial Response to Report of the Fact Finding Mission on Gaza
- Israel's The Operation in Gaza: Factual and Legal Aspects (Israel's analysis of the Operation itself)
- The website Understanding The Goldstone Report
- Law Professor Trevor Norwitz
- Dr. David Zangen (who refuted the Jenin Massacre myth)
- Rep. Howard Berman (who rebutted Goldstone's criticism of HR 867)
- Richard Landes: The Goldstone Report Part I: A Failure of Intelligence
- Richard Landes: The Goldstone Report Part II: A Miscarriage of Human Rights
- Avi Bell: A Critique of the Goldstone Report and its Treatment of International Humanitarian Law,
- Lozowick: A Careful Critical Reading of the Goldstone Report
- Moshe Halbertal, The Goldstone Illusion
- Alan Dershowitz, The Case Against The Goldstone Report: A Study In Evidentiary Bias
- Elder of Ziyon: Goldstone Critiques
- NGO Monitor: House of Cards: NGOs and the Goldstone Report
But truth be told, we cannot blame Pogrebin for being unaware of all this material--after all, Goldstone never followed through on his promise to answer his critics and on occasion claimed that there was no criticism of his report.
Apparently Pogrebin's essay is supposed to appear in her new book, “The Goldstone Report: The Legacy of the Landmark Investigation of the Gaza Conflict,” that is scheduled to be published in January.
One can only hope there might still be time for her to make the necessary corrections to ensure that her book will be factually accurate.
Technorati Tag: Goldstone Report.