Thursday, May 03, 2007

EXAMPLES OF BRITISH JOURNALISM AT ITS FINEST: Chas Newkey Burden writes about his experiences as a British Journalist:
he evening after my return from Israel, I met up with some journalists for some drinks in the West End of London. I was again abused for my trip. Their hatred of Israel was matched only by their adoration of the Palestinians. One of them gushed: "Boy, those suicide bombers have got guts. I wish more people in the world had their courage." Another of them erupted when I told him that most people in Israel wanted a peaceful settlement to the conflict. "So why," he asked, "did they murder their most peaceful Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu?"
No, that is not a typo--just an indication of a failure to do their homework.
Here is an indication of what is often meant when "balance" is mentioned--an end in itself as opposed to a means towards the truth:
The editor of another magazine once told me I was not allowed to write that Yasser Arafat turned down Ehud Barak's offer at Camp David in 2000. I asked why and he replied "because of a need for balance." I pointed out that nobody, including Arafat, has ever disputed that he rejected Barak's offer and the editor replied: "Well, I don't know about that but you still can't write it." The article in question was an "opinion" piece, so taking sides was exactly the brief -- as long as it was not Israel's side, apparently.
Apparently there are plenty of British journalists who could report on Israel just as well sitting at home.

Technorati Tag: and and .

No comments: