What else has Obama done during his term as president to encourage Muslim extremists in general and the Muslim Brotherhood in particular?
Investor's Business Daily has a timeline of How Obama Engineered Mideast Radicalization.
Here is a partial list:
- 2009: The Brotherhood's spiritual leader — Sheikh Yusuf Qaradawi — writes an open letter to Obama arguing terrorism is a direct response to U.S. foreign policy.
- 2009: Obama travels to Cairo to deliver apologetic speech to Muslims, and infuriates the Mubarak regime by inviting banned Brotherhood leaders to attend. Obama deliberately snubs Mubarak, who was neither present nor mentioned. He also snubs Israel during the Mideast trip.
- 2009: Obama appoints a Brotherhood-tied Islamist — Rashad Hussain — as U.S. envoy to the Organization of the Islamic Conference, which supports the Brotherhood.
- 2010: State Department lifts visa ban on Tariq Ramadan, suspected terrorist and Egyptian-born grandson of Brotherhood founder Hassan al-Banna.
- 2010: The Brotherhood's supreme guide calls for jihad against the U.S.
- 2011: The White House fails to back longtime ally Mubarak, who flees Cairo.
- 2011: White House sends intelligence czar James Clapper to Capitol Hill to whitewash the Brotherhood's extremism. Clapper testifies the group is moderate, "largely secular."
- 2011: Justice Department pulls plug on further prosecution of U.S.-based Brotherhood front groups identified as collaborators in conspiracy to funnel millions to Hamas.
- 2011: In a shocking first, the State Department formalizes ties with Egypt's Brotherhood, letting diplomats deal directly with Brotherhood party officials in Cairo.
In his article Yankee Go Home! Saith the Good Guys, Barry Rubin writes that the reason that Egyptian liberals welcomed Hillary Clinton to Egypt by throwing things at her is:
Because these people see the Obama Administration as an ally of the Muslim Brotherhood. That might sound far-fetched to the mainstream media (though not to you, dear readers) but it is taken for granted in much of the Middle East. Oh and they also remember that the Obama Administration cut the financial support to liberal groups granted by its predecessor.Now it should be clear that such an assumption is not really so far-fetched.
Technorati Tag: Obama and Muslim Brotherhood and Middle East.