The attacks, the official said, were in retaliation for the assassinations of Iranian nuclear scientists, for which Iran has blamed Israeli agents — an accusation that Israel has neither confirmed nor denied. “This was tit for tat,” said the American official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation was still under way.
Hezbollah Is Blamed for Attack on Israeli Tourists in Bulgaria, New York Times, July 19,2012
The Obama official is wrong.
This is not an issue of "tit for tat".
This not even an issue of Iranian scientists.
This is about a war of terror committed against Jews and Israelis.
Jeffrey Goldberg notes that Iran's war of terror against Israel has been going on for decades:
Iran has been waging war, rhetorical and actual, against Israel, and Jews, for at least 20 years, and is the prime sponsor of anti-Israel terror attacks, including the most notorious Iran-sponsored attack of all, the one that took place 18 years ago today, in Buenos Aires, in which 85 people were murdered at a Jewish community centerIsrael Hayom has a Timeline: Attacks on Jewish and Israeli Targets Abroad, which illustrates the point.
Below are some of the terrorist attacks mentioned on their list:
|The site of the Jewish community center in Buenos Aires following the 1994 bombing|
Photo Credit: AP posted as fair use
Photo credit: AP
- September 5, 1972 — Munich Olympics Massacre
- July 4, 1976 — Entebbe
- June 3, 1982 — Israel's Ambassador to Britain, Shlomo Argov, is seriously wounded when terrorists from Abu Nidal's Palestinian Fatah group attempt to assassinate him
- December 27, 1985 — Terrorists from Abu Nidal's Fatah Revolutionary Council attack El Al counters at Rome and Vienna airports simultaneously, killing 19 people.
- March 17, 1992 — A car bomb smashes Israeli embassy in Buenos Aires, killing 29 people. Islamic Jihad claims responsibility. (Iran held responsible)
- July 18, 1994 — At least 96 people are killed when a bomb explodes at a Jewish community center in Buenos Aires. (Iran held responsible)
- July 4. 2002 — An Egyptian kills two people at the El Al counter in Los Angeles airport before El Al guards shoot him dead.
- November. 15, 2003 — Car bombs explode outside two synagogues in Istanbul, killing 24 people.
- November 26-29, 2008 — A Jewish center in Mumbai is among the locations targeted in coordinated terrorist attacks. At least five people are killed, including a rabbi and his wife who were taken hostage.
- July 18, 2012 — A bomb explodes on a bus carrying Israeli tourists in the Bulgarian resort city of Burgas, killing at least six people and wounding around 30.
This is not tit for tat.
This is a war that Iran has been waging against Israel.
Technorati Tag: Israel and Terrorism and Iran.