At the time Joel Mowbray wrote how Hamas terrorists are closely connected to the Islamic University of Gaza:
- Hamas founder Sheikh Ahmed Yassin founded the school in 1978.
- Sheikh Yassin, former Hamas leader Abdel Aziz Rantisi, and current Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh have all used the school as a base.
- Haniyeh sits on the school’s board of trustees.
- The school’s 16 parliamentarians account for more than one-fifth of all Hamas legislators.
- Hamas used the campus to host a two-day conference in 2005 on the “martyrdom” of Sheikh Yassin.
- Students gave 78% of their student council votes in 2005 to the Hamas-affiliated party.
On the contrary, UNESCO is establishing a Chair at the Islamic University of Gaza:
On Wednesday, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) established a chair in astronomy, astrophysics and space sciences at the controversial Islamic University in Gaza (IUG).This is the same university where Subhi Al-Yaziji, the dean of Koranic studies at the IUG, called for the Islamic conquest of Spain and the Vatican this past May.
This is just UNESCO sinking to a new low. Last year in October, UNESCO cheated on its own rules when it admitted "Palestine" as a member of UNESCO with a vote of 107-14 out of 173. No member is supposed to be admitted into UNESCO if it falls short of 2/3 of the vote. But the vote to admit "Palestine" did in fact amount to less than 2/3 and UNESCO went ahead and admitted them anyway.
New failures within the UN continue to surface.
Technorati Tag: UNESCO and Gaza and Hamas.