Monday, October 16, 2006

I Say Tomato, You Ask Why

Sunday night, after I finished learning with my chevrusa, his wife came over and offered me a bag of tomatoes that they grow in their backyard. I brought them home and left them on the kitchen counter.

Monday morning, I was in the other room when I overheard the following conversation in the kitchen:

Daughter: Imma, what are these tomatoes doing here?
Imma: Some friends gave them to Abba.
Daughter: Imma, are we poor?
Imma: No, why do you ask?
Daughter: Then why are people giving us food?

Poor?
My daughter is in 2nd grade.
She hasn't learned yet that poverty is spelled: T-U-I-T-I-O-N.

3 comments:

Annie said...

Your chevrusa is lucky to be able to give them away. One year we grew so many tomatoes that our neighbors and friends stopped accepting them.

Daled Amos said...

They've had that problem too.

When their son was working for a caterer, there was so much food left over that he brought it home.

They tried to distribute it to people who needed it, but it was very difficult and on a couple of occasions I came home with meat, kugel, deserts etc.

Took me a week to finish it off.
(but it was delicious)

Daled Amos said...

Bagel Blogger,

Maybe you need one of these.

Come to think of it...so do I.