Monday, April 23, 2007

OBAMA: CATCH ME LATER WHEN I CAN TELL THE TRUTH: On The Electronic Intifada, Ali Abunimah is none too happy with Barack Obama's stand on Israel:
The last time I spoke to Obama was in the winter of 2004 at a gathering in Chicago's Hyde Park neighborhood. He was in the midst of a primary campaign to secure the Democratic nomination for the United States Senate seat he now occupies. But at that time polls showed him trailing.

As he came in from the cold and took off his coat, I went up to greet him. He responded warmly, and volunteered, "Hey, I'm sorry I haven't said more about Palestine right now, but we are in a tough primary race. I'm hoping when things calm down I can be more up front." He referred to my activism, including columns I was contributing to the The Chicago Tribune critical of Israeli and US policy, "Keep up the good work!" [emphasis added]
On the other hand
But Obama's gradual shift into the AIPAC camp had begun as early as 2002 as he planned his move from small time Illinois politics to the national scene.
So who is Obama going to be true to?

Technorati Tag: .



No comments: