Thursday, January 31, 2008

Palpable Anti-Semitism In Great Britain

In a post at Contentions, Abe Greenwald quotes from an interview with Martin Amis:
I know it’s a great tradition of the British left to support Palestine, but when you come up against this question, you can feel the intelligence and balance leaving the hall with a shriek, and people getting into this endocrinal state about Israel. I just don’t understand it. The Jews have a much, much worse history than the Palestinians, and in living memory. But there’s just no impulse of sympathy for that . . . I know we’re supposed to be grown up about it and not fling around accusations of anti-Semitism, but I don’t see any other explanation. It’s a secularised anti-Semitism.
I thought the interview was interesting for the way the interviewer tried to tried to undercut Amis and paint him as an anti-Muslim racist.

Technorati Tag: .

No comments: