There were actually 2 separate terrorist attacks:
Overnight Egypt Attack
- The terrorist attack took place on road #10 30km, south of Gaza
- 2 vehicles of construction workers were driving along the road after 6am
- 3 terrorists had crossed from the Egyptian side of the border and were hiding on the Israeli side
- The terrorists opened fire with both RPG and Kalashnikov. RPG missed, but the Kalashnikov hit the car and flipped it over. One construction workers was killed.
- When the Golani squad of the IDF arrived at the scene, the exchange of gunfire led to an explosion, which killed 2 of the terrorists. One of the terrorists had explosives strapped to himself. 2 bodies confirmed.
- Both the road and 5 Israeli communities reopened, after having been closed for 5 hours.
- The IDF ruled out 3rd terrorist on Israeli side
- There were similarities to Aug 2011 attack:
- The terrorists used top quality gear, confirmed on the basis of what was left behind
- Part of the terrorist squad remained on the Egyptian side
Overnight Gaza Attack
- At 4:50ET, there was a separate event. There were 2 terrorists in Beit Hanoun who were targeted by the IDF
- There have been 282 rockets fired into Israel thus far in 2012