Thursday, July 22, 2010

Michael Totten On "The Kindness Of Israelis"

Michael Totten writes about a topic rarely covered--in fact, some may be of the opinion that it does not even exist.

He points out that everyone knows about the legendary kindness of Arabs, but
Less well-known is the hospitality of Israelis. Their reputation is on-par with that of New Yorkers. Aggressive security officials at the airport, yelling taxi drivers, and occasionally abusive wait staff can put people off. That sort of thing, though, accounts for less than 1 percent of my experience when working in Israel.

A few days ago, I announced that I’m leaving for Israel this week now that I’ve finished and sold my book, and the same thing happened that always does when I mention in public that I’m on my way over there.
My in-box filled with offers of generous assistance from Israelis whom I’ve never met or even heard of. Most offered to buy me dinner. Some said I could sleep on their couch or in a spare bedroom. A few even offered to show me around, introduce me to people, and set up appointments for me. Some of these offers even showed up in my comments section.

This rarely happens when I go anywhere else in the world. It happens every time I’ve announced a trip to Israel, though, in times of peace and during war, and it has been happening to me for years.

I get these sorts of offers from the entire range of Israeli society, from people affiliated with Peace Now to the settler movement. I can always count on kind and generous people in Arab countries to help me out once I’ve arrived, but only Israelis reach out so extensively, so consistently, and in such large numbers before I even get off the plane.
Totten concludes that he has never written about this before, but is doing so now to show his gratitude.
I'm glad he did.

Technorati Tag: .

1 comment:

NormanF said...

Its said Israelis are too nice to their enemies. But its not a character flaw when they display it towards their friends. What's rare is such positive stories about Israel don't usually get wide media coverage. Thanks for that, Michael Totten!