Saturday, September 11, 2010

Let's Have An 'International Read From The Koran Day' (2 Updates)

After 2 days of Rosh HaShanah and then Shabbos, I can now take a look and see how the world conducted itself in my absence. Looks like Terry Jones decided on the right thing and did not go ahead with the Koran-burning.

One thing he might consider instead is this suggestion from Robert Spencer:
As such, it would be better to read aloud from the Qur'an for all to hear believers, the second-class status of women, cruel and unusual punishments, and open-ended calls to warfare in order to impose Islamic law.  [hat tip: Mike Krikorian]
Powerline's John Hinderaker writes about Learning From Reverend Jones and notes that the stunt was successful beyond what Jones could have imagined--but at the same time, there are larger, more important questions that remain to be answered:
what lessons of September 11, 2001, have we internalized? Nine years after President Bush declared Islam a religion of peace, does anyone believe it? Apparently not. Christianity really is a religion of peace, which is why Bible burnings prompt zero news coverage, let alone hysteria throughout the Executive Branch.

Nine years after the world called on moderate Muslims (of whom there are undoubtedly a great number) to reform their religion and marginalize the extremists, how well have they succeeded? How hard have they tried?

Nine years ago, the United States responded to an act of war with a determined and largely successful military campaign that decimated al Qaeda's leadership and severely degraded its military capabilities. Does anyone believe that in 2010 we have the stomach for a similar response to renewed violence by Islamic terrorists?

Nine years after September 11, 2001, which adversary is on the march? The public reaction to Rev. Jones's act of theater suggests the answer.
Even with the protests around the country against the Ground Zero mosque, the upcoming mid-term elections are seen as a referendum on Obama and his policies--no one is really suggesting they will be an indication of how Americans feel about any threat from Islam.

UPDATE: Look's like there was a Capitol Quran reading Saturday to ‘counter the forces of ignorance’:
A Virginia man has organized a Quran reading on the Capitol’s west lawn Saturday afternoon, an event planned to counter Florida pastor Terry Jones’ threat to burn the Muslim holy text.

The reading will proceed even though Jones has backed off. A Facebook page about the planned 4 p.m. quiet reading says it is designed to “counter the forces of ignorance and intolerance.”

“This event is not about religious proselytizing, but about furthering understanding and tolerance (in fact, the people organizing it are all either Christians or Agnostics). Please join us for a few hours of quiet reading in the name of brotherhood and peace,” the website states.
A quiet reading?
That kind of underscores Spencer's point, doesn't it?

UPDATE 2: Looks like I was wrong about there not being any repercussions in November over the Ground Zero mosque:
New ABC Poll:

The debate over construction of a Muslim community center in Lower Manhattan could carry political risks: Four in 10 registered voters -- overwhelmingly opponents of the plan -- say they feel strongly enough about it that it could influence their vote for Congress this fall.

At the same time, the complaint is with this particular site: While 66 percent of Americans in this ABC News/Washington Post poll oppose construction of the Cordoba House facility, 82 percent of opponents say they object to its proposed location, not to building mosques in general.
Technorati Tag:  and .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

All of this hurts my heart and I do not know what to do. I have a friend from Egypt, who is Muslim. I have a friend from New York, who is Jewish. I am so afraid of offending either one of them with my Spiritual beliefs. It is a hard row to hoe trying to not offend others. Do not tell me to figure out where I stand, as I stand with no one dying, no injustices, no pain, but that is never the case. My son tells me to be offended by Islam and he is an American soldier. It is all so difficult to hear about and I wish I could just bury my head in the sand or someone would give me a sign about what is the right and good way. I think moderation in anything is the key.

Anonymous said...

I did start to read the Koran and when I got to the part where women were worth only half as men in inheritance, I was offended being a mom who basically raised kids on her own. I have not gone back to read more.
I wish I could get a copy of the Torah, I think it is called.

Daled Amos said...

Moderation would seem to be the key, but the question is what would a moderate Muslim be like--and would he be acceptable to Muslims in general?

I've read about moderate Muslims whose statements seem to indicate they were anything but. I've also read about Muslims who sound like they would be considered apostates by the general Muslim population.

As far as finding a copy of the Torah, I would imagine there are copies online.