Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Holy Hillel, Batman!

Tom Maguire has a post on his Just One Minute blog remembering what it was like to be a kid watching the first Superman movie in a Hackensack, New Jersey theater when Lex Luthor's plot to drop a nuclear bomb on Hackensack is revealed--and the reaction of the crowd in the theater.

Reading about that reminded me when a roomate and I went to see the first Batman movie on the Upper West Side. It was on Motzei Shabbos and we went to a late showing. The audience was rowdy and noisy. My friend and I sat quietly and minded our own business.

At one point in the movie, Alfred the butler advises Bruce Wayne about his 'girlfriend'--that Wayne should let her know how he feels. Wayne is reluctant. Finally, Alfred admonishes him: "If not now, when?"

I don't know why it was, but somehow hearing a Alfred the butler advise Batman with a quote from Pirkei Avot was just too much and the two of us burst out laughing.

Actually, we were the only 2 people laughing in the theater--to the surprise and annoyance of the rest of the packed theater, who couldn't imagine what was so funny. I sure I couldn't have told them.

So instead, I'm telling you.

Technorati Tag: .

No comments: